Morley & Morehouse Railroad v. John Himmelberger

Supreme Court of Missouri

On July 1, 1897, Stephen B. Hunter entered into a written agreement with the Morley & Morehouse Railroad Company, Hock’s Missouri & Arkansas Railroad Company and Louis J. Houch.  Hunter agreed to furnish $20,000 for the purchase of railroad materials, payments were to be made on delivery of rails, ties, and other construction materials to the Morley & Morehouse Railroad Company.

Five years for the date this agreement was signed, the Morley & Morehouse Railroad, Houck’s Missouri & Arkansas   Railroad company and Louis Houch agree to pay Stephen B. Hunt $20,000 plus eight per cent interest per year, all interest payable annually. Hunter was to be issued a trust deed on the proposed rail line from Morley to Morehouse. An additional security promise by Louis Houck to Hunter was a deposit in a bank of $20,000 in bonds of Houck’s Missouri & Arkansas Railroad.

Hunter, a real estate merchant, large land owner, would later establish the community Huntersville in Stoddard County about 1904. By 1938, he was director of the Missouri penal institutions. Before dealing seriously with Houch, Hunter made an agreement with I. Himmelberger to assign his rights to the lumber company.

Houck wanting to make sure the rail line was assured revenues. Therefore, an additional agreement was reached giving Hunter and his assigns, certain specified freight rates guaranties. Covered were lumber and all other manufactured forest products from Morehouse to Cape Girardeau, East Cape Girardeau, and Commerce. Also included were logs and spoke butts from any point on the Morley & Morehouse Railroad. Hunter and his assigns (I. Himmelberger & Company) claimed the right to haul logs with their own engines and cars at the same rates on ties and pilings shipped to Cape Girardeau and Commerce at the lowest rates given any other shipper.

This contract was to be in force for five years from the date of its’ signing. Hunter inserted an escape clause; this contract binds him to fulfill it “unless prevented by fire or other unavoidable accident to give, furnish and deliver, or causes to be done by others, to; whom he may assign of transfer his rights hereunder.

Five thousand dollars of freight was to be delivered to Morley & Morehouse Railroad each of the five years of the contract. Part of this money was to be put on in interest with the rest applied to the principal. If Hunter does not fulfill his part of the deal, he agrees to take first mortgage bonds on Houck’s Missouri & Arkansas Railroad.

Louis Houck can be given a lot of credit for opening up the swamp lands of Southeast Missouri. By training, the Illinois born son of a printer, became a lawyer. For a year, 1868-1869, he lived in St. Louis where he served as an Assistance U. S. Attorney. After moving to Cape Girardeau to practice law, his interest shifted to railroads. His first adventure into railroad build came in 1880 when he promoted and build the Cape Girardeau Railway Company.

Comments

07/18/2014 8:53am

I like your Article. Thanks For share me.

05/03/2015 10:54am

Most of the parents just killed their disable child as according to them they help their child from the difficulties of practical world or safe them by being trapped by the other peoples in their life.

01/15/2016 11:45am

I am very pleased to see this article, thank you for sharing. I hope next time will be better.Inside If you on my homepage can be found more related content.

01/28/2016 2:58am

I actually like it.I was inspecting continuously this blog site as well as I'm impressed!

03/28/2016 12:57am

Not all directors have studied the craft of acting. Nonetheless many have achieved success. Some are visionaries with extremely fertile imaginations.

04/12/2016 3:39am

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!

we are currently looking to recruit a qualified Solicitor PQE 6 years + to join our Serious Injury (SI) team in our Newcastle office.

05/03/2016 5:01am

Wow, it was so long ago. Interesting story.

05/11/2016 10:52pm

I am really happy to review your article. I discovered a bunches of methods after seeing your blog sites. Great work.

I found out why – it was the same reason as before: everyone was too focussed on the rate.

06/07/2016 12:22am

Hurrah! Its also pleasant post about JavaScript, I am in fact keen of learning JavaScript. thanks admin

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your blog? My blog is in the exact same niche as yours and my users would really benefit from some of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this ok with you. Thank you!

We should reform our court system immediately!

good

09/05/2016 5:41am

At this time it seems like WordPress is the preferred blogging platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog? Great post however I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject?

No one can reject from the feature of this video posted at this web site, pleasant job, keep it all the time.

10/18/2016 7:48am

Thanks for this post dear

12/08/2016 4:09am

you can gift someone free amazon gift cards and make them smile just learn how

02/02/2017 3:55am

lucky patcher ios

03/02/2017 3:35am

Thanks for the great tutorial. It is nice to go through the process at a high level.

03/08/2017 1:46pm

Confused by the number of courts the legal system uses? We don't blame you! There are many and the differences between them can range from minor to major. If you have any questions please comment or contact us and we will try to help answer your question.

04/05/2017 4:12pm

Great I found your web.. it's a nice place to learn...

I am providing Delhi Escorts Service Contact Number for outcall services in Delhi Hotels.

To be truthful, all people likes this massage!

07/09/2017 2:49am

You may hear about Music paradise pro which the most excellent music downloader app. You can use this app as your music downloader to get your preferred songs for totally free.

Quickbooks Support Phone Number,

Sage Support Number,
Sage Technical Support Number,
Sage Tech Support Phone Number,
Sage Technical Support Phone Number,
Sage Customer Service Phone Number,
Sage Customer Service Number,

Some really useful slides here. I've been looking for something like this to help with a research piece I've been working on.

Having grown up on Little River, I have been fascinated with it. Over the past several years, as a local historian, this area has been a special interest.

These areas have been treated much like step-children by Jefferson City and Little Rock. They seem to believe nothing has ever happened here.  Our history has been long and varied. Hope you enjoy my trip.

Near Puxico is the swampy Mingo Wildlife Refuge. One hundred and fifty year ago, most of the Little River Valley appeared that way. This valley covering two million acres was part of the largest wetland in America.

Floods frequently intimated the Valley. Between 1815 and 2011, 15 major floods covered or threatened the area.

Timber companies came in at the end of the 19th Century to clean cut the forest. Louis Houck, a Cape Girardeau lawyer and railroad builder, envisioned a rail network that covered the wetlands.

Little River Drainage District (LRDD) Corporation was established in 1907 by an act of the Butler County (MO) Circuit Court.

Between 1909 and 1928 the LRDD dug nearly 1000 miles of ditches and constructed 30 miles of levees to drain 1.2 million acres of swamp and overflow land in Southeast Missouri. More dirt was moved than in building the Panama Canal.

One surprise I had was the number of settlements in the area before 1811-1812. Another was the water connection between the Mississippi River and the St. Francis and I had no idea that Little River had enough current to run a grist mill.

Norman Vickers